Now that we’re expecting our first baby, my interest in Craigslist has been renewed with a new purpose in mind; to find useful items for this new addition to our family.
One such item that I’ve been searching for is a dresser. But it couldn’t be just any old dresser. No no no, I wanted this dresser to do double duty; booth as a chest of drawers to store clothing and cloth diapers, and as a changing table. That meant that the perfect dresser had to be of an appropriate height for the latter use, thus rendering taller bureaus out of the running.
I also wanted something older because not only do I like and appreciate vintage furniture, but because buying second-hand can be cost-effective without sacrificing quality.
Which brings me to this little gem I found just two days ago on Craigslist. I have no idea what style or era you would consider this dresser to fall into (though if you do, I would be interested in knowing!), but I had a hunch that this would be the perfect fit for our needs. Although the listing only gave a very minimal description and one terrible cell phone photo, we decided to take a chance and check it out. What did we have to lose? The item was located less than 2 miles from our house!
When deciding when to go for something and when to pass I very quickly calculate mentally its pros and cons which include things like quality, functionality, aesthetics, and price. This dresser was listed on Craigslist the day before we went to see for $40. After taking a good look at it and debating on whether or not it would fit into our Toyota Carolla (it did), Jon offered $30 and it was accepted immediately.
A lot of our furniture has a mid-century modern feel that we really like and although I don’t think that this piece really fits into that era we still really liked it because of its simple, tapered legs and the well-worn and smooth feel to the wood. Jon really liked the unusual stains of the dresser top. I really liked the height of the legs which make the very heavy and sturdy piece not feel too heavy visually.
So on the outside we are both more or less happy with this find, the inside of the drawers was the only thing we wanted to change to make this dresser more functional for our needs. The drawers are dovetailed and well made, but the bottom of one drawer was severely warped and partially braking away from the frame. Also, all of the drawers were partially covered with an ugly contact-like paper liner.
Some big heavy books (and my typewriter) along with some wood glue and a couple of claps fixed the broken drawer problem, and as for making the interiors of the drawers more inviting, we did a non permanent take on the contact paper idea by making our own fabric-covered cardboard inserts. It’s basically exactly what I did for my suitcase restoration project a year ago.
The sequence of photos below show Jon figuring out the measurements needed for cutting down the cardboard, cutting the pieces of board, and what the finished cardboard liner looked like before the fabric was added. The fabric, by the way, was all recycled from some horrible curtains I made years ago. The color was a perfect complement to the wood tones and I had plenty of it for all three drawers.
Now all we need is a changing pad for the top so that it can function as a changing table! Using a dresser as a changing table is a great idea, especially since we plan on cloth diapering. Now we’ll have plenty of storage for those cloth diapers and have a piece of furniture that can be used for many years to come!