We recently moved our daughter to a new room, and of course one of the first things that came to mind was ‘yay, we get to decorate again!!!’
What has been so fun about decorating this time around is that I can actually respond to her personality and likes, in addition to just doing what I want to do.
The fact is, our daughter, nearly three now (!) LOVES books. Ok, she’s a book-worm. So, I wanted to do some wall decor that reflected that. Normally, I would not “ruin” a perfectly good book for the sake of art, but I don’t believe I have done that here, mostly because it is actually the complete book up there on the wall, just in a different format.
So without further ado, here is how I did it.
First, I had to find two alphabet books that were identical (since of course the book is printed with letters on the front and back of each page). I really loved the illustrations in this book, called Paul Thurlby’s Alphabet. Honestly, these letters are so great it’s almost a shame NOT to hang them on the wall to enjoy all the time! I was really lucky to find both of my copies at a book sale run by my local library (for just 10 cents a piece!). They were booth canceled copies from the library’s collection, so they had already had a long life of enriching children.
This is a board book, so the pages are made from a thick, card stock material, which is perfect for this application.
Using an exacto knife, I very carefully cut each page from the binding. With a sharp knife this is not hard to do. Once I did that I had a page that had two nice rounded corners and two sharp 90 degree corners. To make the corners look uniform I just cut the sharp corners so that they matched the rounded ones then ran some fine grit sand paper across it give it a nice, finished, and smooth look.
When it came to hanging the letters on the wall I knew I didn’t want to do any unnecessary damage to the pages by puncturing them with tacks or or by using tape, so I found some cute binder clips in a rainbow of colors and then hung those by the smallest nails I could find.
The hardest part of the entire project was actually putting them on the wall so that they were spaced evenly. Luckily, with the binder clips you have a little wiggle room in this area. It didn’t help that my wall is actually an inch wider at the top than it is at the bottom. I found it best to work from the center of the design to the outside and from top to bottom. In the close up photos you can see my registration lines. I still have to paint over these.
Over all I am so pleased with how this project turned out and my daughter is too!